It seems as though everything has taken on a vibrant green hue, almost overnight! Spring is here – the time for barbeques and enjoying the fresh air… and also the time for some routine home maintenance. We’ve compiled a list of items to help you in giving your home a checkup along with its Spring cleaning.
- Tackle your furnace – Now is a great time to clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Check your water heater. Examine the base of your water heater for leaks, rust or other corrosion.
- Look over your clothes dryer. Clean the exhaust duct and the space underneath your dryer. Remove any lint, dust or scraps of material that might have collected there through the year.
- Inspect your roof for damage. Between winter weather and the blazing sun of summer, shingles often take quite a beating. If it appears that your roof is due for repair (or even replacement), now is a good time to start budgeting for that.
- Don’t forget the gutters. Make sure they are clear of leaves and debris. Are they securely attached? Check for leaks as well, and also see that the downspouts direct water away from your foundation, rather than leaving it to collect there.
- Examine your foundation. Check for cracks, and either seal them up or call for professional help. Look for areas around your foundation where water could pool (and then leak in) and fill them with compacted soil.
- Check the chimney. Have your chimney and flue cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep to ensure it will be ready for use next season.
- Trim the trees. Remove all dead trees in your yard, and keep the healthy ones (and bushes, too) trimmed away from utility wires.
- Level the walkways. Repair cracked, broken or uneven pathways to provide level walking surfaces.
- Pull out your fridge and clean the coils. It’s amazing what getting rid of that dust will do for your electric bill! Oh, ok. One more, just cuz we like you:
Oh, ok. One more – just cuz we like you.
- Check your AC System. Whether you have central AC or individual window units, the time to ensure they are in working order is now. Don’t wait for an insanely hot day to discover they’re not functioning properly.
Is there something you do each Spring that didn’t make our list? Leave it here so others can benefit from your routine!